Originally Posted by Columbia University Press in Science, Food
Herve This’s 10 Elements of Basic Kitchen Knowledge
Here is his list for 10 basic elements of kitchen knowledge:
1. Salt dissolves in water.
2. Salt does not dissolve in oil.
3. Oil does not dissolve in water.
4. Water boils at 100 C (212 F).
5. Generally foods contain mostly water (or another fluid).
6. Foods without water or fluid are tough.
7. Some proteins (in eggs, meat, fish) coagulate.
8. Collagen dissolves in water at temperatures higher than 55 C (131 F).
9. Dishes are dispersed systems (combinations of gas, liquid or solid ingredients transformed by cooking).
Herve This was the author of a book I read about food science:
Kitchen Mysteries: Revealing the Science of Cooking